Friday, June 11, 2010

Wow. Just wow. There’s really no other way to describe our last week in New Zealand. Sitting at home now, I’m trying to convince myself that it really happened. You’d think 40 hours on a plane or in an airport would sink things in. Anyway, New Zealand didn’t disappoint in the last few days.  Skydiving, yes SKYDIVING, at 12,000 feet in Queenstown is definitely at the top of the amazing experiences list. It was the most beautiful view I’ve ever seen and such a rush! Traveling through the South Island, one of the things that was most unique to me was how there would be snow covered mountains in front of you and green ones behind. The Mirror Lakes were some of my favorite scenery. Beautiful, blue, and clear enough to cast perfect reflections of the mountains behind them.  But the Southern Alps and Mt. Cook took the cake for views.  It wouldn’t be the end of the trip without one last hike and it definitely tested all of us, but was so worth it in the end. I’m not sure anything will top this trip and, while I can’t speak for all of us, I know I’m looking at the rest of my summer wondering “What now?”

Lisa Snider